[Towertalk] General Questions about tower strength

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] General Questions about tower strength
From: kb9cry@attbi.com (kb9cry@attbi.com)
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 17:53:21 +0000
Rick, being a chemical engineer myself, I will and always have, left the
details to the structural guys, but the engineer probably is increasing the
base size due to his knowledge of the local soil conditions.  You'd need a
larger base if the soil can't support the lateral forces to prevent the tip
over event.  Also, when an licensed engineer stamps a drawing/design, they are
taking full responsibility (and possible liability) for it's design and use.  I
wouldn't argue with an extra yard of concrete; whatever it'll take to get the
permit.  Gd luck, Phil  KB9CRY