[Towertalk] tower mast = to pin OR not to pin

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] tower mast = to pin OR not to pin
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 11:14:03 -0800
This subject's been beated to death before, but I also subscribe to the "no
pin" theory of Advanced Avoidance of Rotor Replacement.  I can realign my
beams in fifteen minutes, but swapping out the rotor takes a lot longer, and
costs more.

If you want to also avoid torque stress on the tower, use a CD45-II or
something.  No brake, the antennas freewheel by spinning the rotor until
they provide the minimum windload, kind of like a weather vane...doesn't
seem to hurt the rotor (much) and is very easy on the tower welds.  When the
wind stops, you don't even have to climb the tower to realign the beams,
just push the lever in the shack.  The drawback is that of course the rotor
does eventually fail (gear grinding)...

-WB2WIK/6

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." -
Mario Andretti