[Towertalk] Force 12 vs. Cushcraft who wins?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Force 12 vs. Cushcraft who wins?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 18:35:19 EST
In a message dated 12/1/02 2:57:00 PM Pacific Standard Time,
mikehatzakis@yahoo.com writes:

> Just moved to the seattle area and am assembling a new station.  Possibly
an
> MA-550 55' tubular tower with a 10' mast.  Trying to decide between two
> classes of beam, in roughly the same price range are the Cushcrafts and the
> Force 12's.
>
>  The Cushcraft A3S/A4S 3 and 4 element standard trapped beams claim 6db
gain (
> 3ele) and 7db (4ele) over dipole.  And the Force 12 2 element beams running
> around 4.5 db.  The 3ele cushcraft and the force 12 have about the same
> dimensions... They have about the same windload, 5sq ft for the tubular..
>
>  Any thoughts on pro's and con's of the two antennas?  experiences?  The
> cushcraft is 3db high gain, but is it lost in the traps?

    DO NOT BELIEVE MANUFACTURER PUBLISHED GAIN FIGURES. (The exception are
those of Force 12 net gain figures - they're pretty realistic and corroborate
our findings.)

    You need a copy of the N0AX and K7LXC Tribander Comparison Report
available from  <A HREF="http://www.championradio.com";>www.championradio.com
</A>. This is the ONLY on-the-air HF tribander antenna comparison ever done.

    My opinion? Skip the trapped antenna.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
Champion Radio Products