[Towertalk] Fire, Electrical and other saftey codes

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Fire, Electrical and other saftey codes
From: ac5tm@bellsouth.net (Tom Miller)
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 10:38:33 -0800
I was reading a couple of weeks ago on Towertalk reflector about how
somebody wanted to run his coax thru an elevator shaft.  I mentioned that
the NEC does not allow that.  I was tronced upon at once and reminded that
it was a south american country and they did not follow the nec.  They
missed the point.  I heard about the fire that killed 43 yesterday because
of faulty wiring.  The whole point of NEC is not laws but fire saftey.  Had
the nec been followed there there would have been no fire.  Also if the fire
laws here had been followed there might not have been any deaths.

I been on a lot of construction jobs where the contractor complains about
Fire Saftey Laws and how much crap they are.  The rules are written to
protect "life and Property" not to give someone a job.

Saftey is a trade off between cost and lives.  How much is your life worth,
your families?

Tom Miller AC5TM
ARRL Life Member
CSVHF Life Member