[Towertalk] Vee beam

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Vee beam
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 07:51:36 -0800
With such a large tower at my disposal, and evidently access to its top at
least to attach the wires and transmission line, I'd probably do something
else.

>From the UK, the US will peak in various directions depending upon where you
wish to work, and the narrower the pattern, the more evident that becomes.
Example Stateside is that VK can peak anywhere from NW to SW, and everything
between, because that's our viewing angle towards VK from here.  With one
narrow pattern antenna, I'm not sure which part of VK I'd choose.

One trick that comes to mind with a single high feedpoint antenna made of
wire would be to make a sloping rhomboid aimed into the ground
(intentionally) at a critical angle to bounce off the earth and back up
towards the ionosphere to make the signal land in about the middle of the
U.S.  The angle is simple trigonometry.  And this approach is not new, it's
used and quite popular in shortwave broadcast work.

WB2WIK/6

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." -
Mario Andretti