[Towertalk] New Rotator In Place; Mast Now Binds

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] New Rotator In Place; Mast Now Binds
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 10:12:51 -0800
I'd replace the pointy-top section with a flat-top one and use a 2" thrust
bearing.  And also a 2" mast.  Since you're in for thunderstorms and high
winds, work done in such conditions will be perfect, and will last forever!

But it does sound like you need to shim the mast-to-rotor interface to
center up the rotating mast better.  That's normal.  The HAM series rotors
only center the mast when the mast used is 2-1/6" diamenter, I believe, and
anything smaller O.D. will rotate out of centricity, causing precisely the
problem you have.  The last pointy-top R25 section I owned (many years ago)
would not even pass a 2" mast, let alone allow one to rotate.

WB2WIK/6

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." -
Mario Andretti