[Towertalk] Lighting arrester placement

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Lighting arrester placement
From: n7vm@lgcy.com (Bill Ralston)
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 20:06:07 -0700
Tower is 300' from the house, with a buried conduit from house to tower
about 1-2' underground.  I am planning to put a set of lighting arresters at
the tower base where the coax will enter a small utility enclosure
containing remote switching equipment.  A second set of arrestors will be on
a bulkhead feed through panel at the entrance to the house.

Here is my thinking:

The 300' of cable from the house to tower, even though it is buried, seems
like a good candidate to pick up induced currents from nearby lightning
strikes.  Hence, I want lightning arrestors on the entry panel to the house
(which will be the single point ground for all of the indoor equipment).

But, the most likely lightning strike is to the tower.  By putting a set of
arrestors at the tower base before entering the utility enclosure, this will
protect the remote switching equipment and limit any coax damage to coax
runs on the tower.

Is this overkill?  Is this counter productive? (I've never seen anything
about 2 arrestors in series in the reading I've done).  Adding the second
set of arrestors at the tower base certainly adds lots of $$ (On the antenna
side of the remote switch there are 6 arrestors required, only are 2
required back at the house).

-- Bill N7VM