[Towertalk] (no subject)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] (no subject)
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 22:06:23 -0500
At 09:41 PM 12/3/02 -0500, Julio Peralta wrote:
>There has been a lot of talk about the Yeasu rotor line. They look like Hy
>Gain rotors in many ways. Do they use the same type of drive mechanics or
>are they a worm gear arrangement? I think they use a 6 wire connection do
>they have a brake of some sort. I guess if they are the worm gear drive
>they don't need the brake.

They are really very different from the Hygains, and I don't fully
understand why they work so well, but they do.  The first time I picked up
my G-1000SDX, I was astonished by the light weight.  The gear train is a
standard-looking reduction gear, and there is a physically small drum
brake, which works surprisingly well.  Among the other features of the
design, the thing I like best is the 450-degree rotation.  People have had
trouble with the mast clamps breaking, but when tightened in the right
sequence and properly centered on the rotator housing, this problem goes
away.  Mine has been twirling a C-3E and a short 40m yagi for 7 years so
far without a hitch.

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower