[Towertalk] VEE Beam (Summary) Thanks

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] VEE Beam (Summary) Thanks
From: g0hgw@yahoo.com (Robert Thain)
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 15:02:26 +0000 (GMT)
Thank you to everybody that replied.
Here is a quick summary.

It sounds like a Vee beam is an antenna from the 50's
and 60's.
Almost all the references that were found were from
books of that era.
However there was a recent reference to the RSGB
(RadCom) from a few years back, I'm going through my
old issues.

For an antenna that has been around for so long there
is very little info or guidance around.
Ie length of legs, slope, apex angles etc.

I haven't heard enough glowing reports to rush out and
build one straight away.

There is a lot of mystique and romance about the
'magic' Vee beam and rhombics.
"They are big so they will put out a big signal" Right
?!?!

Most people that replied said they worked BUT not many
people kept them up for long as other antennas were
better (for a number of different aspects).
I wouldn't like to say how many of the Vee beams have
been computer modelled and optimised.

There was one very interesting idea of a downward
sloping Rhombic which relies on an instant ground
reflection.

I'm still open to ideas for a 28MHz high gain
directional wire antenna which can be supported at
about 45m.

We already have a 10m wide spaced 4el Yagi at 45m.

Thanks again
Robert G0HGW