[Towertalk] Dumb Question (swagged elements)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Dumb Question (swagged elements)
From: W4EF@dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 08:32:38 -0800
Actually you could make the inner tube as long as you want
and it won't make any difference as there is nothing to excite
the capacitor formed by the concentric tubes. The end where
this coaxial capacitor connects to the antenna (i.e. the swaged
element joint) is shorted out. You would have to insulate the
inner element from the outer element at the swaged joint in
order to excite the capacitor. In that case, the amount of
overlap will dictate the amount of coupling to the element tip
and have a significant effect on tuning.