[Towertalk] odd mobile question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] odd mobile question
From: dhearn@ix.netcom.com (dan hearn)
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 17:33:32 -0800
Hi Ken: It is possible to put RF into almost any thing and make it act
as a radiator. I once used the windshield opening in my car as a slot
antenna on 10m. However, the setup you describe does not sound very
attractive as an antenna.
1. It is usually not good to have large capacitance between your antenna
and ground. The setup you describe sounds like it would be bad in that
respect.
2. Somewhere on the frame there would probably be fairly high voltage
and tape insulation would not do the job. If you raised the frame on
plastic spacers away from the truck bed it would be better.
3. It would be difficult to  find a point on the frame where the R value
of its impedance would be 50 ohms and the reactance associated with that
point could be tuned out. It is possible to build a matching network for
50 ohms to almost any load impedance but in extreme cases it is very
lossy.
  I believe the Hamstick in your available mount would run circles
around it. 73, Dan, N5AR