[Towertalk] Ground the coax braid on LPDA or not?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Ground the coax braid on LPDA or not?
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 06:39:57 -0600
How about using a RELAY to ground the coax shield to the
tower when you want to use the sloper and OPEN when you
want to use the LPDA?

You could mount a panel barrel connector on an insulated
piece of metal and use a relay to open / short the shield to
the tower.  I would do this at the top of the tower.

For starters, can you short the coax to the top of the tower
to verify that you get the desired effect on the sloper?  THEN
proceed IF the desired effect occurs.

Tom  N4KG

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002  "Louis Sica, Jr." <lsica@attbi.com> writes:
> Hello Steve
>
> Chuck was the one who recommended to me to ground the coax at the
> top of the
> tower, but other local hams who've had Tennadyne LPDA's (T10's) have
> told me
> how they've noted performance degredation after grounding the coax.
> So I'm
> not quite sure who to follow, the manufacturer, or real-world data
> from
> someone whose opinion I respect.

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com