[Towertalk] why I missed the first part of the contest

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] why I missed the first part of the contest
From: FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com (FireBrick)
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 12:21:55 -0600
So, last night the rotator stops indicating properly. Jumping all over the
place and big 'no contact' swatch right in the middle of where I'm usually
aiming the antenna.

So, as someone who still proudly carries his Eagle Scout card in his wallet;
I'm always prepared and pull out my spare rotator.
So, wanting to make sure; I test it with the back up control box.

Both control boxes have the exact same wire sequence.
Both rotators have identical mil spec. waterproof cable connectors.
Makes swapping a breeze.

Except the spare didn't work.
Set it up on workbench, make sure I have witness marks on all movable parts
so I can align it all back together easily.
Take the rotator apart, trace the wiring and find a broken wire for south
limit switch.
Resolder wire, reassemble rotator.
Take replacement outside, remove rotator with bad direction pot and replace
with spare.
Bring broken rotator inside, lay on workbench and.....

What's that bearing retainer full of ball bearings doing still sitting on a
shop towel on the work bench?
duh and double duh!

I'm beginning to fear that my wife has been right about me all these years.

It isn't easy for someone to take a 30 minute job and turn it into 3
hours, a pile of greasy rags, and a workbench full of tools that have to be
cleaned and replace......

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

W9OL, Bill H. in Chicagoland