[Towertalk] knot tying help

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] knot tying help
From: zigm1975@alloymail.com (S. Markowski Jr.)
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 01:55:03 +0000
snip
Really- I think Boyscouts would be a last resort. They usually learn knots as
a display art, and not by repeated use where your life depends on your skill.

below is FYI, and NOT a Flame Job IMHO!

Well,
Many of the knots mentioned in this long-running thread, as well as MOST of
the knots I've been tying as a firefighter for 25 years, I LEARNED to tie in
the Boy Scouts.  Not used as "display art", but when at camps we lashed and
knotted: ladders, bridges, observation posts, piers, etc........Never a
failure, and all were tied the same, exact way as shown in the Boy Scout
Handbook, and well as the top Fire Service Books on rope and knots, as well as
the technical rescue books.(which part of them cover rope and high angle
rescue)...including rigging, ascending/decending methods and devices, etc.
Some of the knots used in the Fire Service are not(or were not)covered in the
Boy Scout Handbook(namely hte Figure Eight(and all its variations)when I was
in. I've been tying bowlines and clove hitches the same way for 35 years.

You may be surprised what you can learn from a Boy Scout!  They tried to teach
me CW at age eleven........ I opted for semaphore and waited 13 more years to
learn CW and got licensed in 79.

73,
Zig Markowski - KM9M