[Towertalk] Knots: engage brain, save your life.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Knots: engage brain, save your life.
From: bjk@ihug.co.nz (Barry Kirkwood)
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 19:56:14 +1300
Far be it from me to get in the way of anyone bent on self destruction.
But I do feel some moral obligation to correct things which are not only =
wrong, but dangerously wrong when they put innocent people in danger.

We are not talking Cal 40s, neither are we talking tying aircraft to =
carrier decks, or lashing together sticks for Boy Scout exercises.

We are talkng about knots suitable for tying support lines for personal =
safety when working at heights.

A major variable is the cordage itself. There seems to be some awareness =
that special techniques are required to knot monofilament fishing lines, =
and the same goes for other forms of cordage to a greater or lesser =
degree.

In the case of a lanyard tied to a safety belt or harness, much time may =
be spent with the knot under no load and brushed as the wearer moves =
around. If the lanyard is of, say, hemp rope, then the odds are that a =
simple bowline well snugged down will not come free of its own accord. =
On the other hand the same knot in a polypropylene line in the same =
situation will likely undo itself in minutes.=20

Cordage is a topic in itself, and a subset of the topic is the range of =
knots, splices and terminations appropriate to a particular type of line =
in a particular application.

Statements of the sort " a bowline with a half hitch on top will be =
perfectly safe" are dangerous and irresponsible.

Bowlines are fine, but if used in the applications of which I speak I =
would advise seizing or taping the tail of the bowline to the standing =
part.=20

So far as jib sheets on yachts are concerned:  It is known (at least out =
here) that bowlines in jib sheets do come undone, mainly because thay do =
not get properly snugged down when crews are changing sail under =
pressure of time. =20

I do advocate serious study of techniques and equipment used by sport =
climbers.  The application is all about personal safety when hanging off =
the end of a line.=20

Again I would stress that I am not an expert. As mentioned before, =
instruction and healthy exercise can be obtained in visit of only an =
hour or two at rock gymnasiums which can be found in many cities. The =
same information is available on websites, but nothing beats personal =
instruction. Cost is minimal.

How much is your life worth?

73

Barry