[Towertalk] WHY?!!!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] WHY?!!!
From: dhearn@ix.netcom.com (dan hearn)
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 22:23:39 -0800
Hi Dino: Your questions are certainly reasonable.
1. I do not believe dimension D is a critical one. The 1/4 wave open
transmission line tap point for a transmission line match might be at a
slightly different point if D is different. This design is not ideal and
should have a balun at the tap point on the coax feed line. The
alternate design is much better as the coax is inside the copper tubing
and leaves at the grounded end of the matching stub. I believe the coax
line should, ideally leave the antenna horizontally for some distance to
avoid current being induced into its shield by the vertical antenna.
Many antennas of this type have been built and work well even though
they are less than ideal theoretically.
2. The mysterious 0.33 wavelength dimension comes from the fact that the
coax loop must be an electrical 0.5 wavelangth long for proper phasing
to drive the other half of the dipole (180 deg). The velocity of
propagation for radio waves in solid polyethylene dielectric coax is
66%. 0.5 wavelength x 0.66 = 0.33 This design is a very good one
requiring no balun if the coax leaves at right angles to the dipole.
  Commercial 4:1 baluns usually use ferrite core toroids and the ones
shown in Sevick's book"Transmission Line Transformers" roll off rapidly
above the HF range. At 100mhz they have around 1 1/2 db loss and it is
increasing rapidly with frequency.
GL with your project, 73, Dan, N5AR