[Towertalk] Guy Wire Assistance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Guy Wire Assistance
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 17:33:18 EST
In a message dated 12/24/02 1:15:41 PM Pacific Standard Time,
TNeill1648@aol.com writes:

> I am putting up 100 feet of Rohn 55 and have a guy wire question.  My
>  preference is to use Phyllistrand nonconductive guys and I have no
> experience
>  with this product having always used 3/16 inch steel.
>
>  My question is which size of the Phyllistrand to use.   I believe there
are
>  four different sizes of Phyllistrand available.  The PHTG21001 has a
> breaking
>  strength of 2100 pounds and the HPTG 40001 is rated at 4000 pounds.
>
>  The 3/16 inch EHS is rated around 3900 pounds and I have never had a
failure
>  with this particular guy cable size.
>
>  Would the 2100 pound Phyllistrand work OK?

    Nope - tower failure ahoy!

>  Any recommendations would be appreciated.

    Yep - follow the LXC Prime Directive and "DO what the manufacturer says".
The Rohn catalog specifies 1/4" EHS (HPTG6700 is the Phillystran equivalent)
for top guys @ 70 and 90 MPH. They go up to 5/16" EHS (HPTG11000) for 110
MPH.

    You do have a Rohn catalog, don't you? Doesn't sound like it if you have
to ask this kind of a question.  <A HREF="http://www.championradio.com";>
www.championradio.com</A> has them if you don't.

Cheers & GL,
Steve     K7LXC