[Towertalk] I just want my tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] I just want my tower
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 13:17:22 EST
In a message dated 12/25/02 9:57:19 AM Pacific Standard Time,
mikehatzakis@yahoo.com writes:

> Has anyone been in a similar situation?  What are you thoughts?  Advise?
>  Clever ideas?  I am still considering going to my neighbors and discussing
>  it with them, but I am pretty sure there are a few that will certainly not
>  approve and will try to block it.  I've had two 35 foot antenna masts
>  supporting my dipole for three years and no-one has complained.
>  Unfortunately, I am at the base of a hill and the dipole just dosent get
out
>  very well...

    There are two approaches: Mister Nice-guy and Mister Hands-off. Mr. N
goes around to the neighbors campaigning for his tower/antenna, selling,
cajoling, and trying to win them over to his side with talk of emergency
communications, etc. Mr. H does not.

    It depends on how you feel about your neighbors. There will probably also
be times when they show up on your front porch or call on the phone during
that 20M run to Europe to complain about some RFI problem. Do you be Mr. N or
Mr. H? There are cases to be made for both.

    Neighbors aside, you'll need a building permit for a typical
concrete-based tower. In many areas part of the building permit application
process is that you have to notify your neighbors (typically within a 300'
diameter of your place) so you can wait until then to alert them. Personally
I've been both Mr. N and Mr. H and I've found that being Mr. Nice-guy doesn't
always help your cause.

    But to address your legal questions, you need to check in with the legal
eagles on the Ham-law reflector. They've been thru this area many times and
are happy to give you some advice. Here's the info:

>>  The Ham-Law Mailing List. This list is for discussion and does not
purport to give legal advice.

Submissions:  ham-law@altlaw.com