[Towertalk] Side-Mount on Trylon T400-80?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Side-Mount on Trylon T400-80?
From: spelunk.sueno@prodigy.net (EUGENE SMAR)
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 14:25:13 -0500
TT:

     Steve's correct (as usual.)  The Trylon side mount shown will not allow
rotation of a center-mount HF Yagi.

     Let me offer an alternative:
http://www.trylon.com/pdfs/Working%20platform.pdf .  This is the work
platform for the Titan series of towers.  Perhaps one could purchase (or
fabricate) two support angles for two consecutive tower sections and install
a top bearing plate and rotator plate on homemade platforms.

     The issue with the Titan tower series is the taper - about three inches
of reduced face width in each section.  The homemade platform would have the
center of the upper bearing offset from the tower face a few inches more
than the lower rotator plate.  Also, this design (offset from a tower face)
will have a restriction on the azimuth angles through which the Yagi can be
rotated, compared with a design that has the axis of rotation off a tower
leg as shown in Steve's referenced web page.

     With the work platform configuration a swinging gate type of rotating
assembly could be installed on the Trylons.  But always keep the element
spacing in mind when you're designing the mount.  And read the 2002 QST
article (issue?) about side-mounting large Yagis.  And remember (last one, I
promise) - the Trylon Titan series is a light- to medium-duty design.  I
wouldn't put too big a Yagi on it.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F