[TowerTalk] Interference Problem (long)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Interference Problem (long)
From: w8aef@worldnet.att.net (Paul Playford)
Date: Tue Feb 4 11:12:22 2003
My first thought on starting to read you query is - do as I finally had to
do - locate the noise source yourself.  It sounds to me like you have done
that.

I don't believe that down guys by themselves will generate RF interference.
It is true that some TV cable systems run 110 vac square wave down the coax
to power repeaters, but that is a closed system and I doubt if that is where
you noise is originating from.  I suspect that there is a cracked power line
insulator or a ground wire on the pole that is missplaced and causing an arc
from the power line support hardware.  If there is a transformer on the pole
it could be that an insulator on it is defective and arcing.

Within spec.  In my opinion this is B.S.  I believe that one of the FCC
rules that power companies are required to follow is that they will not
generate harmful RF interference.

If I were in your shoes I would be contacting the FCC, re the lack of proper
response on the part of ComEd's part.

de Paul, W8AEF