[TowerTalk] Remote Antenna Switches

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Remote Antenna Switches
From: w8aef@worldnet.att.net (Paul Playford)
Date: Tue Feb 4 11:12:27 2003
I made my own switch box.  I used 10 amp Radio Shack relays.  I have had one
relay burn up on me when I was having trouble with one of my mono banders,
and I burned the insulator on an SO-239 when the PL-259 barrell loosened.  I
run 1500 watts cw & ssb, 160, 80, 40, 30, 20, 15 & 10, and the box has been
in service for 9 years.  1500 watts into 50 ohms will have about 5 1/2 amps
of current.

And the relays are very similar to the ones in an Ameritron relay box that
was given to me.

As long as the spring contacts have sufficient power rating, a little follow
(wiping action) when the contact makes or breaks, and mounted so the relay
springs are vertical (so any dust will fall out), You should be able to use
just about anybodies box.

de Paul, W8AEF