[TowerTalk] antennas and line filtering

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] antennas and line filtering
From: wes@attawayinterests.com (Wes Attaway (N5WA))
Date: Wed Feb 5 21:11:51 2003
A couple of thoughts:

1. You probably do not have an AC line noise problem since you
are using power supplies to power your radio.

2. I would start with the power supplies. Try one power supply at
a time to see if one of them is the problem.  If you still hear
noise with either power supply running, then turn them all off
and power the radio with a car battery.  If the battery cures the
noise problem, then you have to look at the power supplies.

If the power supplies are not the problem, then you need to
determine whether the noise source is close to your shack, or
somewhere beyond.

3. Disconnect your antenna from the back of the radio and replace
it with a short (6") wire.  You should hear little or no noise
(of the type you have described) if the noise is coming from
someplace beyond your immediate vacinity. If the noise is still
very loud then you have to suspect something right in your shack,
or house.  If the noise is very subdued, or gone, with the 6"
wire in place, then you need to refer to texts re tracking down
an external noise source.