[TowerTalk] Coax cables

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax cables
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Fri Feb 7 12:23:00 2003
Hi Mark,

I think those are both rumors or wive's tails.

I've used 9913 since it was introduced to the amateur market in 1983 and an
ordinary PL-259 always fit it just fine.  Better, in fact, than conventional
RG-213/U and such, because the center conductor really "filled" the pin, so
less solder would wick up during the assembly process.  (Solder wicking up
through the PL-259 pin, and application of excessive heat and solder during
this operation, is a leading cause of failures due to the cable dielectric
melting.)

There is no "special for 9913" PL-259 that I know of, made by anybody.

However, a conventional mil-spec Type N connector, series UG21/U, will *not*
accommodate the oversized center conductor of 9913 and similar low-loss
cables.  To resolve that problem, a few specialty manufacturers did start
making (and still make) "special" Type N's just for 9913 and similar.  The
only thing different is the pin itself, the rest of the connector is
standard.  I simply buy machined-out and then gold plated center pins
separately from the N connectors for this application; use the whole UG21 N
connector but toss out the center pin, and use a specialty center pin
instead.  One source of the pins is The RF Connection.  Joel seems to stock
these and is willing to sell them separately.

-WB2WIK/6

"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure with no loss of
enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill