[TowerTalk] Guyed self-supporters (was "Concrete suggestions")

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guyed self-supporters (was "Concrete suggestions")
From: chris@g3vbl.co.uk (Chris Pedder)
Date: Fri Apr 18 11:52:29 2003
At 09:27 18/04/2003 -0400, K3BU wrote:
>"Properly designed self supporting tower, with design loads, for certain
>weather conditions and outfitted with at least one set of properly placed guy
>wires (with proper anchors) will be able to withstand greater loads or more
>severe weather conditions than without guy wires."
>
>Prove me wrong and get kilobuck!
>
>Happy Easter to everyone!
>
>Dipl. Ing. Yuri Blanarovich, P.Eng., M.Sc.
>President Computeradio

I find myself in the strange situation of agreeing with Yuri on this one! I
qualify this by stating that I am merely a mathematician and not an
engineer. Engineers like to solve problems, I get my kicks from proving
that the solutions exist.

My own self-supporting crank-up tilt-over tower is rated, by the
manufacturer, (mindful of the prime directive) for a horizontal headload of
145lbs (sic) in a 100mph wind while un-guyed and 880lbs in a 100mph wind
when guyed.

To suggest that guying, correctly, a self-supporting tower will reduce its
survivability is laughable.

Chris G3VBL