[TowerTalk] Guyed self-supporters (was "Concrete suggestions")

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guyed self-supporters (was "Concrete suggestions")
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU@aol.com)
Date: Wed Apr 16 23:57:22 2003
In a message dated 4/16/03 11:28:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
hankarn@pacbell.net writes:

> I find it amazing of the abundance of re-design ENG-A-NEERS that are so
>  much smarter than the engineered that make their living designing towers.
>  I understand a standalone tower does not need to be guyed and a guyed
>  tower needs to be guyed.
>  PLAIN SIMPLE ENGLISH.
>  Hank
>  KN6DI

I find it amazing that someone would call engineer ENG-A-NEER without knowing
his background.

It is called self-supporting tower, it does not need to be guyed if it is
loaded with design load and under design WX conditions. But if you want to be
safer, exceed the design load and for more severe conditions, by using guy
wires (properly designed) you can expand the load capability, survivability
and safety factor (for that Hurricane or extra ice load and mushy ground).
Very plain and very simple English (in your post), but WRONG!!!

Yuri, K3BU