[TowerTalk] Balun for old Telrex Beam

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Balun for old Telrex Beam
From: ww5l@gte.net (Tom Anderson)
Date: Sat Apr 19 17:15:44 2003

The TB6EM I have came with an "Ultrabal" coax balun which
is about the diameter of a pancake  4.5 inches by 1.5 inches thick.
Paperwork I have on it gives directions how to mount, trim the leads,
etc., but no schematic.

I don't mind copying the Ultrabal instructions and mailing them to you,
but there is no schematic with it, just install instructions.  The
blueprints for the TB6EM show a rectangular balun like the old HyGain
4000 series baluns, which apparently weren't changed when they switched
to the Ultrabal, according to WB5IUU, a friend of mine who also has a
TB6EM.

The address in 1988 for Ultrabal  was listed as:
DKP Designs
11652 McLennan Ave.
Granada Hills CA 91344
818-360-9440

If DKP is still in business the model # is 88-1-1-1030. Ray Harper N6DKP
was listed as the CEO.

Specs are:
impedance 1:1
Surge impedance 50 ohms
insertion loss 0.2 db
freq range 10-30
balance, average: 2.2% derived from Eo1/Gnd-Eo2/Gnd over Eo1+Eo2
VSWR 1.08:1 average
power: 4.8 KW into a 2.4:1 VSWR max load, 2.5 KW into 6:1 VSWR load.
duty cycle: (40 degrees C, full power) Continuous 10 minutes.
Intermittent 50%.
fits booms from 1.5 inches to 3.5 inches.

Hope that helps.

73 de Tom, WW5L