[TowerTalk] Grips and Concrete Pier

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grips and Concrete Pier
From: jameswarren@swbell.net (James)
Date: Wed Jul 2 13:43:19 2003
> Can anyone tell me if guy grips can be reused?

I've installed over 2,000 grips on various sized EHS cable for 200' up
to 600' towers. I noticed when I have to retension or relocate a tower,
there is less gritty sand inside the grip as when it was new. Most of
appears to embed itself into the cable. So I wouldn't reuse them.

>I know some of the regulations here in Arlington, well and true, some I
>think are sketchy.

Ain't theat the truth. Friend in Arlington said you have to get a permit
to build a backyard fence and it must use steel pipe posts - no wood posts.

>Where would you move if you were relocating in TX and wanted freedom to
>put up an antenna farm without excessive permits and RFI problems (both as a
>source AND a receiver), and good propagation? Did I mention good food too?

Good food and a location for an antenna farm are usually mutually exclusive,
i.e. if you are that far out, it might be a 30 minutes drive to the nearest
decent sized town!

Seriously, I'm going to be stacking a 100' self supporting tower I found
down the road, but use additional guy wires. Clay soil 40 miles northeast
of Dallas won't support a concrete pad very well. Most of the power line
poles alond the roads are really tipped over. I'll have an 18" bore hole
drilled out down to 15' in the bedrock and pour a small pad over it, then
run two levels of guys.

I suspect that I'll have to retension several times over the next several
years, so I'll install a "disposable" guy point, i.e. the guy strand will
terminate a few feet from the guy anchor and splice to a removable piece
of short cable with a torpedo cable splice. The short piece of cable and
guy wire grip can be replaced as needed.