[TowerTalk] 80m Antennas For Distances of 400-3000 Miles

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 80m Antennas For Distances of 400-3000 Miles
From: nat@ajheatwole.com (Nat Heatwole)
Date: Thu Jul 3 21:43:29 2003
I tried posting this query to CQ-Contest but didn't get any substantial
what you had to say. I'm looking for an 80m antenna (or antennas) that
could be used in domestic contests other than Sweepstakes, in other
words, where the same station can be worked once per band (NAQP, The
Sprints, Field Day, etc.). For stations within 400 miles of my QTH (I'm
in MD) Sweepstakes antennas will work well (see
http://www.qth.com/ka9fox/sweepstakes_ant.txt for more information on
this) and I'll be quite loud within that radius. But what about stations
that are greater than 400 miles away, i.e. (from MD) stations in parts
of the Midwest and W4 out to the west coast, what types of antenna(s)
will work the best for those distances on 80m? Is the answer a dipole or
loop at a certain height, or what about a vertical or vertical arrays?
Any suggestions?

73, Nat, WZ3AR
<nat@ajheatwole.com>