[BULK] - [TowerTalk] Tower Tale/W6AM

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [BULK] - [TowerTalk] Tower Tale/W6AM
From: n1nk@cox.net (Jim Spears)
Date: Tue Jul 15 18:28:58 2003
A few of us (N6AW, N6TJ, and myself - AB6R at the time) did a good bit of
work for/with Don at the rhombic farm up to the time of his passing.  he had
a good number of rhombics on the 24 acres, most hung from really tall
utility poles.  it was not uncommon to see don up a pole doing something.
with that much wire and santa ana winds, repairing antennas was a frequent
mission.  forget how many rhombics there were at the time but it must have
been really impressive when he had 125 or so acres.  he talked about the
'north london' and 'south london' rhombics.  a bit of exaggaration but there
were no directions left uncovered.  his other location was long beach, a bit
north of downtown near the virginia country club where he had his final
cribbage or gin rummy game.  at the long beach house he had a huge utility
pole and a variety of yagis strapped to the top stuck in the grass between
the street and the sidewalk as I recall.  that location was key during the
great long beach earthquake.  his mobile location was the big caddy or
lincoln with the kw mobile rig...

Jim
N1NK