[TowerTalk] Need Advice on SO2R Antenna Arrangement

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Need Advice on SO2R Antenna Arrangement
From: eric@k3na.org (Eric Scace K3NA)
Date: Sat Jul 19 06:44:44 2003
   Some general suggestions as a starting point:

1.  Sell the tribanders.  With just three towers, they really can't help you
much and will certainly interact with everything else.
If you can build taller towers, put the cash into increased tower height.  You
will do well to have:
    -- 150' 20m stack at 50, 100 and 150 ft.
    -- more height for the tower that contains a 40m stack.

2.  Try to keep the antennas for the same band on the same tower.  Otherwise,
you will have complex pattern interaction issues to
worry about.  A common arrangement for 3 towers is:
   -- 10 and 40m on one tower.
   -- 15m on another tower.
   -- 20m on the third tower.

   You did not say where you were located.  The choice of which bands to
double-up on the same tower depend a bit on what you need
to do with your antennas during the contest.  For example, if you are in the
northeast and put a 10m and 40m antenna on the same
rotator, one approach is for the two antennas to point in opposite directions
to held during those hours when both bands are open.

3.  Sacrifice the 80m rotatable dipole if it forces compromises in the other
bands.  You could consider:
   -- putting it on the 15m tower.
   -- eliminating the rotatable dipole.  Use the space between two towers for a
wire dipole or 2-element reversible beam with a
cardiod pattern.  Put the cash into taller towers and good rotators.

4.  Assemble your yagis into a system that can be driven as a stack.  You can
always twist the top antenna(s) off to different
directions to chase multipliers.  My article in the next issue of the National
Contest Journal (Sep/Oct) discusses this in detail.

5.  Bandpass filters and well-designed coax stub systems should be adequate to
address inter-station interference issues.

   Good luck.  This is a big project but you will have a great station.

73,
   -- Eric K3NA