[TowerTalk] Help, I thought I was out of the woods

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Help, I thought I was out of the woods
From: mike@hatzakis.net (Michael Hatzakis, Jr)
Date: Tue Jul 29 19:58:49 2003
A number of you asked for a follow up.  Once in a while, it's good news.!

I called the city dept of code enforcement this am.  As I suspected, it was
a complaint the officer had to follow up on.  She asked me how I put up a
tower and did I get any approval from the city.  I said, well, yes, you did
give me a permit and directed her to the building permit.  She then said
that she recalled that the city has codes for antennas and spend fifteen
minutes looking them up.  Now I was sweating.  She finally, after looking
through volumes of codes, and reviewed my permit application (which, by the
way, had a stamped copy of my PE specs and PRB-1) concluded that she/'land
use' had no jurisdiction and the city of Bellevue could not regulate amateur
antennas in any way except in their construction and building integrity.
There were no height or antenna restrictions.  She said I was in perfect
complaince to all codes and procedures for such constructions.

Took your advice and we chatted and develop a rapport.  Then, she asked me
the question.... so, what is ham radio anyway?  Hah, that was my opening.
Forty minutes later, we've now got an strong advocate for ham radio in the
city of bellevue.  She was fascinated by all of the aspects of ham radio.

Thus, Bellevue, Washington is now officially a ham friendly city.
Unbeleivable.  But I am still requesting her assessment in writing...!

Michael K3MH