[TowerTalk] Mast Collars

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mast Collars
From: shr@medinaec.com (W0UN -- John Brosnahan)
Date: Tue Aug 5 14:52:20 2003
Many big antennas are supported by muffler clamps from the boom plate
to the mast.  The forces associated with rotation are usually much higher
than the dead weight of the antennas.  My suggestion for back-to-back
muffler clamp saddles was made to address the issue of supporting the
dead weight of the antennas during repair work on the rotator.  But I am
sure they would hold under continuous duty.  If you are a belt and suspenders
kind of guy then use two sets of them at 90 degrees to each other.

Most hams are not willing to spend the money to do it right with proper
clamping.  I always recommend doing it right.  The muffler clamp solution
is one that works well and is within the budget of most hams and is
readily available.

John   W0UN