[TowerTalk] TowerTalk] Re: An Enlightning Experience

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk] Re: An Enlightning Experience
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 18:34:44 EDT
As one of the higher towered stations in Florida I can say can say I lots of
experience with lightning.  I have slowly battled uphill against mother nature
for 25 years in the lightning capital of the US.  I have actually made it
through most of my first summer in some time without any nmajor damage from
lightning.

The two most important things to do.  Disconnect everything from the bulkhead
and unplug the cable as well all AC plugs in the shack.

Second, invest in the Polyphaser stuff and put it on a good bulkhead which
has a good ground.  I believe this is the best thing I have done in the battle
against Thor.

The towers have been hit three times in the last five weeks...the usual
flash, pop and crack instantaneously...no damage except for the computer cable
router which the kids forgot to disconnect after they got off the computer.  As
any station with big towers in Florida will tell you....a really easy lightning
summer, even with a much higher amount of storms this year.

Bill K4XS