Re: [TowerTalk] Making rotator loops separate

To: K7LXC@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Making rotator loops separate
From: WA2BPE <wa2bpe@infoblvd.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 14:53:48 -0400
On UHF-type (PL259s), be sure to "wiggle" slightly to fully seat the connector
as the mating "teeth" tend to offset slightly while tightening.  I agree 100%
with the "two-plier" method -
have never had one come loose in > 10 years installation and wx from -25 to
+110F; snow, ice, rain, sun, wind; done in this way.  Also, I never put a
barrel, etc. in a rotating section of
coax  where there is inevitable torquing; secure it to a tower leg, etc. and
the coax on either side (Scotch (3-M) loves me  :-)  ) but allow for minor
movement.  Perhaps it is common
knowledge, but if not, be careful on taping on coax not to pull too tightly;
some coax (like foam dielectric) that doesn't have a solid shield (like Heliax)
can cold flow and distort/crush
the coax over time - better to tape over a longer length.  Actually, re:
connectors, where possible, I prefer to use "N" or better connectors (esp for
V/UHF).

Tom - WA2BPE

K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/31/03 10:36:37 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> mcduffie@actcom.net writes:
>
> > > Pl-259's are notorious for coming loose anyway, and in the loop
> environment
> >  > you're just asking for trouble.
> >
> >  I've NEVER had a PL come loose on me, even the ones that weren't
> >  taped.  I put them on as tight as my hands will do it without tools,
> >  and that's it.  Properly installed, they shouldn't come loose with
> >  layers of tape over them anyway.
>
>     Well, you've been lucky. Hand-tight is NOT recommended. Use the 2-plier
> technique to 'gently' seat them with a barrel connector and 1-plier on baluns,
> etc.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve     K7LXC
> TOWER TECH -
> Professional tower services for commercial and amateur
> ---
> [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Information Boulevard's Virus Scanning]

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by Information Boulevard's Virus Scanning]