Re: [TowerTalk] Smart antennas

To: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>, <va3pl@cuic.ca>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Smart antennas
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 15:24:12 -0700
Or, one could run a 10 kW "active antenna tuner", on each of the 10 elements in the array.

While the current regulatory model lets me have 1500 joules/second, I can't exactly distribute them as I see fit for other regulatory reasons. 30 odd years ago, the rules were changed from DC power to the final to PEP largely to adapt to the "new fangled" SSB.

I would suggest, as a starting point, that the DC/feedline power limit be increased, while keeping the nominal EIRP the same as it is. That is, assume that currently, one could put up a 10 dBi antenna and feed 1500W to it, for 15 kW EIRP. I could then put a -10 dBi compact loop sitting on the grass and ram 150 kW into it. (Granted, I could probably see the blurred electric meter wheel spinning by the glow from the antenna before the grass caught fire)

One would still have an incentive to improve one's antenna system; amplifiers aren't free, after all. My model is more comparing the 5 dBi from an inefficent 4 square type array (which I could erect in my HOA controlled lot: flagpoles!) against the 8 dBi Yagi on a 100 foot tower. You can run 1500W into your Yagi, I'd like to run 750W into each element...