Re: [TowerTalk] Reference plane for FCC power limit

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Reference plane for FCC power limit
From: Chuck Counselman <ccc@space.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 15:12:32 -0400
At 11:38 AM -0700 9/3/03, Bill Turner wrote:
On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 13:05:56 -0400, Chuck Counselman W1HIS wrote:

 The "forward" power at a reference plane/point along a simple TEM
 transmission-line such as coaxial cable or parallel-wire line depends
 not only on the voltage across and the current through the line at
 said plane, but also on an assumed value, e.g., 50 ohms, of the
 characteristic impedance Zo of said line.

I've read that statement a half dozen times and it still makes no sense. The Zo determines the ratio of E/I, but for a given power level, Zo has no effect on E*I. (Assuming the theoretical lossless line for discussion purposes, of course). Where am I wrong?

My statement that you quoted (above) referred specifically to "forward" power, which I took care to distinguish (in several sentences that you did not quote) from _net_ power.

Your statement refers to "E*I", by which I assume you meant the time-average, over an RF cycle, of the complex product of E*, the complex conjugate of the complex-amplitude E, and the complex-amplitude I. I would have written <E*I>. The real part of <E*I> is what I called _net_ power or _real_ power, and the imaginary part of <E*I> is what I called _imaginary_ power or _reactive_ power, in the sentences of my message that you did not quote.

I believe that your confusion is about the difference between forward power and net power. Net power equals forward power minus reverse power. In other words, forward power equals net power plus reverse power.

If you have a tiny transmitter and a big mismatch, you can have a very big forward power, easily more than ten times the net power.

Relatedly, it is essential to distinguish between the forward and the reverse waves on a transmission line when speaking of voltage, current, and impedance. The value of Zo does _not_ completely determine the ratio of E/I, whether you take E and I in this formula to be real or complex. You can easily see that Zo does not determine the ratio of E/I by considering a lossless line terminated in a short-circuit. At this termination and every integer half-wavelength back from it, the ratio of E/I equals zero, completely independent of the value of Zo. The ratio of E/I equals Zo only when there is no reflected wave.

-Chuck, W1HIS