Re: [TowerTalk] A3S Problem

To: <brewerj@squared.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] A3S Problem
From: "Dave Hough, W7GK" <w7gk@qsl.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 12:26:04 -0700
After you remove the black vinyl caps remove the single screw. Now the only
thing holding the coil inside the shield is 4 nylon spacers. The spacers are a
press fit but if you hit the trap on a block of soft wood a few times you'll
force the coil out. Don't drive the coil towards the "bent piece", drive it in
the opposite direction. Comes out fairly hard but I've taken every one of the
traps apart on our A4S without a problem. After putting them together, checked
the A4S with a MFJ-259 and it performs to factory spec.

Also check your coils closely to see if there's any evidence of any kind of arc
over. Found that in one of our traps and had to do some field expedient repairs
to a burned nylon spacer and the black coil wrapping.

All the markings on our traps were gone so it was really important to carefully
mark everything so it went back the way it was taken apart.

Cushcraft will sell you a whole trap but not the individual components.

You can see our A4S on the ARRL website by going to "Soapbox" and asking for
W7V under 2003 Field Day.

73,
Dave, W7GK
Elko, NV