Re: [TowerTalk] 80 - 40 Meter Vertical Ideas

To: <RLVZ@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80 - 40 Meter Vertical Ideas
From: "RCARIELLO" <RCARIELLO@si.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 11:58:08 -0000
Dick,
I personally like OPTION 1.
If you can insulate the base of the antenna from ground for the power you
plan to use.
The end of the antenna will be at a high voltage point as the half wave for
forty.

I would set the vertical up a little short for 80 meter operation. Add a
small amount of  base loading so a good match can be made for Phone or CW
operation. You could do this with a single relay.

For 40 meters use a parallel-tuned network at the base of the vertical.
ON4UN covers this in his Low Band DXing Handbooks under the Vertical Dipole
section.

The values for 40 meter operation he gives are:

40 pF
13 uH

It sounds more complicated then it really is. Remember to disconnect the
tuning unit you are not using. If you go with two coax lines, which is the
simplest, connect the unused end to ground when not in use. Also run a few
1/4 wave radials for EACH BAND. This should help stabilize the matching.

P.S. I ran a Half Wave wire vertical for 160 Meters using this
parallel-tuned system with a six foot helium balloon. Worked great!

Best of luck,
Rick AA2MF