Re: Fw: [TowerTalk] Re: Tower base hole?

To: ve4xt@mts.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Fw: [TowerTalk] Re: Tower base hole?
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 09:17:54 EDT
In a message dated 9/6/03 9:12:07 PM Pacific Daylight Time, ve4xt@mts.net
writes:

> My bigger concern with an 8-foot deep hole isn't with how to dig it, but,
>  depending on the soil, how to keep it from collapsing in on me as I do.
>
>  For that reason, anything that allows you to dig the hole without being in
>  the hole is a good thing.

    Good point. US OSHA rules say that any hole deeper than 4-feet needs to
be shored up to prevent cave-in injury. Any time you're in over your head, it's
dangerous.

    I have a big problem with difficult and/or dangerous hole designs. US
Tower and Trylon have some stupid designs. Trylon wants you to bell out the
bottom of their bases which means you have to be in a 5-1/2 to 6-foot-plus hole
and
dig the bell portion out by hand. In some soil conditions this is almost
impossible. In all cases it's potentially dangerous. UST wants you to dig a
4x4x7-feet deep (or even 3x3x-6-feet deep) hole. These bases were designed by
engineers sitting in air-conditioned offices who never have tried to build one
of
these things. I much prefer having a shallower but wider base - easier to
excavate and not dangerous at all. Don't get me started!!!!

    You can have your PE design the base to your particular configuration and
requirements so you don't have to put up with a stupid factory design.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH --