[TowerTalk] wires in trees

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] wires in trees
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 21:40:43 -0000
Since there appears to be interest.... I use a 25lb compound
bow to loft fiberglass fishing arrows, using a gametracker.
(wa2sry and I think alike!).

I replaced the tip of the fishing arrow with a hex headed
bolt.  It's heavier, and removes the possibility of drilling
your arrow into a branch, and having it stay there for months.
Safer, too, if you have to pull it back and try again!  Bloody
things come straight back at you.

IMHO, crossbows are dangerous, and exert way too much power
to be used in anything but remote areas.  If my 25 lb bow will
put an arrow over 150' high trees....how can you need anything
more?

What I do, though, is pull up 80lb monofilament with the
gametracker string...and use the mono to pull up the rope.
Lighter monofilament would work, but will cut your hands.
80 is pretty workable.

When I'm done with a pull, I discard both the used gametracker
string and the monofilament.   Were you to use a spinning reel
with the monofilament, you could improve on things.

I also use a device designed to roll up extension cords, to
spool out the rope.  I keep 500' on the spool, put a brick on
the base of the reel (home depot sells 'em), and can do the
hoist single handed.

OH...another tip....use electrical tape to smooth over your
knots between lines.  I use a square knot, with long legs, and
tape 'em up smoothly, so it'll go over branches in both directions.
There's always ONE that's cranky, and you have to back up and yank
a bit.

Like one guy said....I don't use pulleys or counterweights.  Instead,
I plan to pull up a replacement line if it comes down.  That way, I can
lay it over the very top of the tree.  I let a little slack in one of
the hoist lines if there's a big blow coming.

n2ea