Re: [TowerTalk] T2X Control Box Creating RFI

To: "Dan Levin" <djl@andlev.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] T2X Control Box Creating RFI
From: "Paul Playford" <w8aef@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 22:11:09 -0000
Yup.  You have a poor connection between your station ground and tower
ground.  The T2X rotator uses a 3 conductor cable to provide a.c. power to
the controller, the green wire is at a.c. ground and the direction indicator
wiper in the rotator is also at ground potential.  With a poor bond between
the tower and station ground the potential at the wiper will have a voltage
on it (depending on the direction of the antenna) and that voltage will
appear on your coax line and generate the hum you are experiencing.

The quick fix is to lift the ground (green) wire in the control box but the
correct fix is to bond your station ground to your tower ground.

I had the same problem and it about drove me crazy.  Blew components in the
front end of my IC-765 several times before I finally determined what was
causing the failures.

de Paul, W8AEF

ZF2TA  FO8DX  FO0PLA  8Q7AA  XZ0A