Re: [TowerTalk] Cadweld, Ultraweld, etc

To: "Jerry Keller" <k3bz@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cadweld, Ultraweld, etc
From: kb9cry@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:46:44 +0000
One has to buy Erico's CadWeld products from a local industrial electrical
supply house and therefore, at least for me, a minimum of one case of 12 was
required.  You'd want to get the CadWeld OneShots.  You can buy the UniShots
individually from Harger.  I believe they are essentially the same design and
usage but personally I've never seen the UniShots.  The OneShots from CadWeld
are real easy to use and pretty foolproof.  From your description it sounds
like you need some GT116L, one in and one out, and some NX116L, two in and two
out.  Check me on those model numbers by going through the muliple selection
screens on the erico website; you specify the type of mold, wire to ground rod,
then the rod size, 5/8, then the wire size, to get to the mold models screen.
Those models might also be # GT1161, etc.  Check my memory.  You also don't
need to buy every different mold for all the applications you listed.  For
example, you can use the one in and one out for a single wire terminating at
the rod by simply stuffing a small stub of wire into the other opening and then
use the weld.  You can also do the same for the two in and two out by again
sticking a short stub of wire into the unused openings.  You want to fill these
up with something so the molten metal does not leak out.  QSL?  The OneShots
come with everything you need except a flint spark igniter, like what the
welders use to fire up their torches.  One can use a propane torch but it tends
to blow the starting powder away and takes a little finesse.  Finally plan to
purchase one extra to use on the learning curve just in case.  Email me
separately if you need more info.  Phil  KB9CRY