Re: [YCCC] RE: [TowerTalk] follow-up on 4-square conversion

To: <eric@k3na.org>, <dick.green@valley.net>,"Tower (Tower)" <towertalk@contesting.com>,"YCCC (YCCC)" <yccc@yccc.org>
Subject: Re: [YCCC] RE: [TowerTalk] follow-up on 4-square conversion
From: "Jack" <w1wef3@netzero.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 14:42:54 -0400
From: "Eric Scace K3NA" <eric@k3na.org>
To: <dick.green@valley.net>; "Tower (Tower)" <towertalk@contesting.com>;
"YCCC (YCCC)" <yccc@yccc.org>
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2003 6:41 AM

> Hi Dick --
>
>    Rope:  One of the problems with rope guys is that many kinds of rope
are quite stretchy.  The purpose of guying is to keep the
> aluminum tubing aligned in a column; this keeps downward forces (which can
be substantial) from collapsing the column (column
> failure).  To do this, any guy (rope or other material) needs to be
well-tensioned so that a sideways movement of the guy point
> doesn't merely take up the slack in the guy.
>
>    The total amount of stretch in material increases as the material is
made longer; i.e., elongation under a particular load add a
> certain percent to the overall length.  Long pieces of rope (e.g., the 85
feet needed to guy to the 60 ft level at a 45? angle) will
> therefore stretch more when the wind loads up the antenna (or a tree limb
falls on the guys).

>    Consider investing in low-stretch rope for at least the longest guys,
such as those with amarid fibers.  These are available at
> marine supply stores or, e.g., from New England Rope company.  Low-stretch
ropes are quite strong, so you will be able to use a
> smaller diameter rope.
>
>    The thinner the aluminum, the more important it is to have an adequate
number of low-stretch guys.

>    W1KM's approach to getting enough leverage to raise the antenna is an
excellent one.

> 73,
> -- Eric K3NA

Quadrature
> feed is not optimal for an 1/8-wave spaced array, and it will take a
> modified Lewallan network, or something similar, to obtain a pattern with
> about 5 dB forward gain and 20+ dB F/B. There's an example of just the
> network I need in the ON4UN book. The inductors look easy to build, but
I'm