RE: [TowerTalk] Parking the beam

To: "'TowerTalk Discussion Group (E-mail)'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Parking the beam
From: "David Cook" <davec@netdave.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 14:17:34 -0700
I hope you folks don't mind my bringing this subject up again, but I finally
got some emperical results to this question. I received a lot of mixed
opinions on whether to point the beam into the wind or to park it sideways.
We had a lot of gusty wind today, so I watched the beam as I tried both
positions. It was very clear that the best orientation was to point the beam
broadside to, i.e. with the elements in line with, the wind. With the beam
heading into the wind, the elements vibrated noticably. Broadside,
everything was very calm and steady.

In my QTH here in Seattle, the prevailing wind is due SW, so parking the
beam at 320 degrees is the perfect spot. Thanks for all the comments on this
question and I hope my results are helpful to others.

73, Dave, WAØTTN