[TowerTalk] Question re: mating Rohn sections

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Question re: mating Rohn sections
From: Learning Designs <LDLtd@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:42:37 -0400
So I've learned how to use a jack to fix bends in used tower sections to get them to mate. I've learned to use Penetrox (or choose your brand) in the joints. But here's an interesting problem: My Rohn 45 sections now mate so well that the upper pieces slide on slightly beyond the holes in the lower sections, in some places by over 0.5 cm. Do I drill out the holes, or raise the upper section a few mm and bolt them as pre-drilled? Rule-following tells me to do the latter, but common sense tells me to do the former, since the bolts would otherwise have to bear the full weight of the tower!

Thanks in advance for any help!

73,
Maury W3EF