Re: [TowerTalk] KLM 5el 20m monobander - High SWR

To: Dave Hachadorian <k6ll@juno.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] KLM 5el 20m monobander - High SWR
From: Chuck Sudds <chuck@dxham.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 22:55:10 -0500
At 08:07 PM 10/14/03 +0000, Dave Hachadorian wrote:

Dave

When I had my KT34XA, this was a constant problem here in Iowa. I covered those phasing bars with heat-shrink and never had the problem of them shorting to anything ever again.

Chuck KØTVD

I only know about the tribanders first-hand, but I think KLM
used a similar dual-driven-element setup on their monobanders.
The rear driven element is the one that predominantly affects
swr on cw. It is connected to the front driven element, where
the feedpoint is, by phasing straps that have been problematic
in the past. The straps can touch each other, can touch the boom, and can
develop high resistance connections where they fit over the
attaching screws. Maybe someone could take a long fiberglass tube
up there and poke the phasing straps, while someone else is
observing swr from down below, to see if it fluctuates. Also, maybe
you can see a problem through binoculars.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ