Re: [TowerTalk] Base Grout?

To: Jerry Keller <k3bz@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Base Grout?
From: "Jim White, K4OJ" <k4oj@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 16:05:22 -0400
...having sold this stuff before, what you are wanting is indeed called grout - to you it will appear like very fine cement without much in the way of aggregate (rocks)... it "flows" easily, so it will seek out lowest spots when contained in a framework - make a perimeter around your plate large enough for you to be able to easily add the grout... if mixed properly it will flow, and as the overall level rises it will touch the underside of your plate...

The manufacturer I used to sell years ago was Master Builders, they are nationwide - I would do a Google Search based on that name and the biggest town near you, there are lots of other manufacturers with equally fine products - this will find you a distributor of this type of product in an urban area near your QTH.

You are looking for non-metallic grout, if I remember the sacks it came in were kinda small (10 lbs or 20 lbs) but one should should be plenty for your job... mix it up thoroughly and pour it in.... it will seek level and if that is lower than your plate, add some more... check the bag for cubic area and specific directions.... it is not rocket science.

When it sets it is harder than the concrete it is sitting on top of... this is how they install heavy equipment like air conditioning units or furnaces in commercial construction...

(don't forget to scratch your call and the date in off to the side of the pour!)

GL,

Jim, K4OJ

Jerry Keller wrote:

My tower sits on a Tee-shaped steel base plate that's on the threaded J-bolt ends about 3 inces above the concrete. I've been told I should put "grout" under the plate, between the Tee-plate and the concrete, enclosing the 3 exposed J-bolts. If this is advisable, what kind of "grout" is used for this, and where do I get it?
Advice appreciated...always. Jerry K3BZ _______________________________________________