Re: [TowerTalk] 80m 1/4wave vertical construction

To: Dave N0RQ <n0rq-1@dfwair.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80m 1/4wave vertical construction
From: tongaloa <tongaloa@alltel.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 16:18:01 -0400
Can't help on the tubing size but am also working on a 1/4 wave vertical for 80 and
plan to make it a little short and put a 20m trap in the middle for 2 x 1/2 waves
in phase on 20 as a bonus to the 80. Trimming feed to odd multiple of 1/4 waves
on 20 should get a decent match on 20...looking at a piece of fiberglass for
the center. Had not thought about guys yet but will probably telescope the glass
section in a few extra inches and run some 3/16" eye screws into it.

Want to compare with the 80m, rectangular, vertically polarized, loop. 3/8 wave
top and bottom and 1/8 wave verticals.

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/D.Jefferies/slotnotch.html
talks a little about this sort of antenna as related to a slot antenna
but I've not been able to find any analysis of it.

-Bob

Dave N0RQ wrote:

I am hoping to build an 80 meter 1/4 wave vertical, but have several practical questions.

Size of aluminum tubing?  I don't want to waste $ and buy too big, but obviously
don't want it too small either.  http://www.texastowers.com/aluminum.htm
shows what TT sells (and thankfully they are local to me).  I plan to get the
12'
lengths (unless that is a bad idea for some reason).  Do I start with 1.75" and
step
down ending up with 1.25" on top?  Bigger/smaller?

What about a guesstimate on the length, using tubing like this?  If a wire
dipole leg
would be 61.25' (468 / 3.82MHz / 2), what would be a good starting length for
tubing?

Also need an idea on making some sort of attachment point a little over halfway
up
to attach some dacron "guys" for support.  Simple smallish eye-bolts?
Should I be concerned about dacron getting wet and affecting SWR/performance?

And what is the best way to attach the bottom of the antenna to a 4x4 post, maintaining insulating properties from the post but yet very strong. Perhaps
grey PVC over the aluminum and some sort of bracket? I'm having problems
visualizing it...

Dave N0RQ