RE: [TowerTalk] Lightning, surge protection

To: <mcduffie@actcom.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Lightning, surge protection
From: "Wes Attaway (N5WA)" <wes@attawayinterests.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 19:47:55 -0600
For "whole house" surge protection I have been using (for about
10 years) Cutler-Hammer model CHSA Surge Arrestors in each of my
breaker panels.  The units simply snap-in in place of a breaker
unit.  They should be mounted as close to the top of the breaker
panel as possible.  They have had a HUGE positive effect.  I used
to get a lot of hits before my recent tower take down project,
and have never had a problem with any ham gear being affected.
Early on however, we had a couple of light switches blown out and
thereafter I installed the Cutler-Hammer surge protectors in the
breaker panels.  Since that time, and after numerous hits, we
never had any indication at all of anything happening other than
a big BOOM.

The current Cutler-Hammer model is a CHSP-MAX and is an external
unit wired to any 2-pole 15A breaker mounted near top of panel.
They sell for $50-$75, according to my local Cutler-Hammer ham
friend.

There are obviously other models of the same thing by other
companies. Properly installed they are well worth the money.
Cutler-Hammer recommends using additional surge protection at the
location of specific appliances.  This same advice is probably
also true for other manufacturers.

These things really do work.  They are an addition to, and not a
substitute for, the basic grounding techniques for your ham radio
station.   If you do a sloppy job of grounding your antennas and
station then a lightning strike will spell disaster no matter
what else you have done.