Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Topband: Using 1/2" PVC Conduit Vs. the CrittersWho

To: "Robert Shohet" <kq2m@earthlink.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Topband: Using 1/2" PVC Conduit Vs. the CrittersWho Eat Coax
From: "Chris BONDE" <ve7hcb@rac.ca>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:33:48 -0800
Long time ago, in telephony I believe, they made the splice in the cables,
wrapped
with cloth (?) then 'wiped' lead on the splice. The wiping was basically with
slushy
soft lead.  The field mice squirrels and other rodents enjoyed chewing the soft
metal
to sharpen and wear down their teeth.  Not to ingest it.  I suspect that is
what is
happening here.  I also believe that they put something into the lead to repel
the
rodents.  You might look into the repellent idea or putting up a squirrel
shield as
used on bird feeders or a rat shield as used on boat guys or mooring when
docked.

For porcupines some people have used moth balls (the insecticide!) spread
around
the car.  We use to burn mice and rats around the summer house, never had
problems after a couple of times, a stink.

Chris opr VE7HCB